Monday, February 14, 2011

Valtentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day. Today is a day that people who are in relationships, whether through marriage or casually dating, tend to love. It is also a day that people who are not in relationships tend to hate. I have always liked Valentine's Day and do not ever remember calling it Single's Awareness Day as many of my friends do. I don't know why I have always liked Valentine's Day, after all this is my 23rd Valentine's Day that I have been single for, but I still enjoy this unofficial holiday, I still get excited and nervous and everything just like I did when I was a kid in elementary school. I will probably end up renting the movie Valentine's Day and watching it because for some reason that is one of my favorite movies.
Maybe the reason I like Valentine's Day so much is what it stands for. Looking back at history, I know where the holiday originated and all, but when you really think about it Saint Valentinus was a hero. He was a martyr for love. For true love. Something about the story of Saint Valentinus and Valentine's Day just makes sense to me. Even though I have been single for 23 years of my life, I believe in love. I know that I will find true love one day and I know that this probably sounds really sappy and maybe even just dumb, but I know that there is a girl out there for me. There is a girl out there who is perfect for me. I believe that my one true love is out there. Who knows, maybe she is in the same boat that I am in, maybe her heart has been broken as many times as mine has.
Today though whether you are single, dating, or married do not focus on the past. Don't focus on your hurts and heartbreaks, focus on today. Even if you do not have a significant other to love, love your family and your friends. Jesus said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35. We are commanded to love. So, today do not be SAD, but love.
Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: